Monday, April 21, 2008

Peru: The Land of the Sick?!?

Last year, Chloe's Papa (my dad) traveled to Arizona 3-4 times for business. When he would go, we would always tell Chloe about him flying in a plane to Phoenix. No matter how we explained it, she always believed that he was on the plane the whole time he was gone. She thought he would just fly around non-stop for 7 days and then come home. Every time she saw a plane she would say, "There's my Papa. Wave to him."
This year, Chloe likes to inform me if anyone in her class is absent from school. And if they're absent, she automatically assumes they're sick-- and then she'll talk about "poor Joseph(example), I sure hope he feels better soon-- it's not fair he had to be sick today."-- It usually goes a little something like that. So~ today when she told me to ask her if Robbie was absent, I was surprised to hear he was in Peru. But according to Chloe--he's still sick. Here's how it went down:

C: Ask me if Robbie was there today?

me: Was Robbie at school today?

C: No, he's in Pewu.

me: Peru? That's cool!

C: (loudly) That's not tool mom-- he's vewy sick.

me: He's sick? In Peru?

C: Yeah, that's where all the sick people go.

me: Are you sure about that?

C: Yeah, he flied on a plane there-- on Papa's plane to Pewu. And Pewu is FULL of sick people.

me: I see. Well, I hope he feels better.

C: He will when he gets to come home and go to school. Too bad Pewu is so sick.

Wasn't quite sure how to respond to that, so I just let it go at that. I guess I should try to explain to her that you don't always have to be sick to miss school, all of the planes in the sky aren't her Papa's, and that Peru is actually a very healthy country :-)

No comments: