Thursday, April 3, 2008

Hi, I'm Grace. Nice to meet you...

Those of you who know me well, know that I am about as coordinated as a 3 legged dog on skis! As a matter of fact, some of my close friends don't even bat an eye when I fall face first walking in the mall-- tripping over nothing but my own feet and hopping back up faster than any bunny can hop-- they're just used to it. And they know that unless I mention it, then it didn't hurt a bit and we can just keep talking about whatever and not even break stride in the conversation. :-) One of my most memorable falls was from about a year and a half ago. Micky and I went with Carla and Ross to a concert at the Newberry Opera House. As we were leaving and walking to the car (completely sober mind you) I fell full body, face first on the pavement. My hands actually got caught up in my jacket so I wasn't even able to use them to break the fall. Again, I hopped up in record time, but that fall actually left a few marks and drew a little blood. I do have to give those guys credit-- they were actually nice enough to make sure I was ok before they busted out laughing. Not sure if I could have done that-- I've imagined what it must have looked like and I think it's HILARIOUS! My most recent fall happened tonight at aerobics. Yes, I said aerobics. Don't be so shocked! I've been going to work-out for a few weeks now, and I'm really terrible at it! But I like it-- I feel good when I leave knowing that I've done something good for myself-- and it helps me feel better when I dive in to a hot fudge sundae for dessert! They do a lot of step aerobics, and for someone with my great coordination that can be a challenge at times. Tonight as we were going over the box (from one side to the other) I caught my left foot on my right heel and just about hit the floor. Luckily, I was able to catch myself before I went down too far, but unfortunately, Jane still saw me and I could tell she was dying laughing on the inside-- not that I blame her, it was pretty funny and I got a chuckle out of it! I'm just impressed I didn't end up eating the floor! Oh, Jane is a lady that has been in every class I've taken. I only get to go a couple of times a week, usually late in the day after Micky gets home, and she's been their every time I go. She loves to tell me how she's been doing it for years and to just stick with it and I'll love it. I have no idea what her real name is, so I refer to her as Jane, short for Jane Fonda. After our hour long workout, she still looks like she just came from the salon-- fresh makeup and all-- and I'm standing over there dripping sweat like I've been working on the chain gang all afternoon by the railroad tracks! Oh well, I do think she means well and I do admire the way that woman can work out-- it's impressive.
So, I've been thinking about this falling addiction of mine lately, and hoping that it doesn't pass on to my daughters. So far, so good with Chloe. The jury's still out on Emma. We've been having "Dance Parties" just about every night for awhile now, and lucky for Chloe she seems to have inherited her Dad's smoothness. Again, if you've seen me dance, you may have wondered if I was hurt-- don't worry-- that's just how I roll. I'm well aware that I'm no Paula Abdul in the dance department, but I guarantee you that I have more fun dancing than her. I have several theories on people who just stand around and watch other people dance: #1 they're just taking notes on some dance moves to use for the next video they're choreographing #2 they are such good dancers they don't want to make the rest of us feel bad and #3 (this is the one I believe in the most) they just have a huge stick up their a** and think they're too good to look silly and have fun with the rest of us! I realize that some people aren't as willing to embarrass themselves as I am, but sometimes you just got to let go and see what happens when you swing your arms this way or that! Life's too short, and besides, Chloe thinks I'm an AWESOME dancer and Micky loves me enough to tell me I look great! That's all that really matters to me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to here the Shealy dance party craze has landed in the Sturkie house...we gotta shake it sometimes, ya know? - C