Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pregnant lady+3year old+wet dog=BAD IDEA!



So, those of you who've been to our house will know some of what I'm about to write, but for the rest of you-- welcome to a small piece of what I like to call, "Living with Clyde". I must preface this with saying that we love Clyde immensely and could not imagine our lives without him (although I do dream of what it would be like to not see dog hair on my rugs). Overall, Clyde is a great dog who listens well, plays great with Chloe, and doesn't chew on anything he shouldn't. Having said that... Let me say this...being an English Bulldog can have its disadvantages. 1. He always sounds like he's just run a marathon--and this is just when he's been sitting still for an hour! Imagine how loud he gets when he actually runs around! Snoring doesn't begin to describe the sounds he makes while sleeping--and this is after he's had surgery to widen his palate and nostrils to help this problem--so he now has his own room to sleep in. 2. The cute folds around his face-while great for looking sad--tend to hold on to any water he's drank in the last 7 days. Therefore, he may be the only dog I know that has been trained to wipe his face on a towel in his room when he's done drinking. He doesn't always remember this, so then we get some great slobber shots thrown up on the walls whenever he decides to shake. (Seriously--I've had to use the step stool to wipe some of them off--he's got great reach with that shaking stuff!) 3. If he is not brushed daily or at least every couple of days, he can shed like nobodies business! Chloe now knows this and uses every opportunity she can find to go outside and brush him--a few times she's tried to do it inside with mommy's brush. What's really great is to brush your hair and then realize your brush was used on the dog right before you placed it in your freshly washed hair! Oh the joy! These are just a few glimpses of what life with Clyde is like!
But what brought this post about was my brilliant idea to give him a bath yesterday! I know, I know, I'm a genius--what can I say?!? Yeah, about the time I had the sprayer in one hand and the back of Clyde's neck in the other--I realized this was probably not a good idea. Too late, I was committed and I was going to finish--even if it meant Chloe and I getting soaked (which she loved) and having to come in and have our own baths when we were done. But guess what?--he's beautiful and shiny today, and under complete house arrest! I'm not taking any chances--you know he'll find the one ounce of orange clay/dirt in the yard and use it to paint himself orange like a Cleveland Browns fan! Hey, what can I say, we love our Clyde!

3 comments:

Ross Shealy said...

I can't believe he knows how to wipe his mouth...

Stephanie said...

Yeah, it's more of a bury your head in the towel and shake back and forth kind of wiping! We just appreciate the effort! :-)

Anonymous said...

People should read this.