Thursday, August 14, 2008

On the other side



As many of you know, Chloe recently had surgery to have her tonsils removed. They had been swollen since February with no good reason why-- and the child had to sleep in an almost seated position so she could breathe. Her snoring rivaled Clyde's! Let me start by saying she did absolutely wonderful. She was so big and made us very proud. I think the worst part for her was the week before her surgery when she had to have blood work drawn. Her vein blew as soon as they stuck her and if you've never seen that or had it happen I promise it can be very painful-- but she took it like a champ and let them finish what they had to do. I on the other hand was ready to grab the needle and do it myself. Micky was very proud of me for restraining myself! (You'll often hear that nurses make the worst patients. Well, that may be true, but being a nurse who has a child in the hospital tops that! Cardiology was my specialty, so when it comes to peds or OB I try to sit back and listen-- and most of the time not even tell them I'm a nurse. I find they tend to explain things a little better when they think I know absolutely nothing about it. Works for me.)
One thing they stressed in nursing school (it's actually common sense) was that no procedure is minor when it's happening to your loved one. That is so true! I know how "minor" a tonsillectomy is supposed to be, but when it was Chloe we were talking about it became very serious to me. That's my baby they're going to put to sleep and my baby who will be hurting for weeks after and not understand why. So, I'm sorry if I got offended if someone told me it was no big deal. I know they were just trying to comfort me and help me not worry-- but me being the crazy I am, that comfort didn't come until I got to hold her in the recovery room. I don't know if I've ever hugged her so tight.
Well, she slept most of that day, and when she woke up that afternoon she was telling everyone that she hurt her foot and that's why she had to stay at the hospital and that they were putting water in her toe. (she was asleep when they put the IV in!)










We spent one night in the hospital and when we came home she did great! Clyde has regained his role as #1 snorer in the house! So far the only downside from the surgery is that she still thinks Popsicle's make an excellent breakfast! Hard to argue with that! Here's some pics from the big day! (click on pics to see larger)






No comments: