Thursday, March 13, 2008

The POWER of a Dollar

On Sunday we had a family lunch at Micky's parents house. While there, Chloe's great grandmother, Nana, slipped her a dollar. Chloe quickly slipped it into her pocket and has guarded it all week. She's been thinking very hard about what she would like to do with this dollar, and this morning she came to me with her master plan.

Chloe: "Mom, I need you to take me to the store."

me: "What for?"

Chloe: "I NEED to spend my monies--see (she held up an extremely wrinkled 1 dollar bill that she's apparently been sleeping with under her pillow-- I guess she doesn't trust us not to take it!).

me: "What are you going to buy?"

Chloe: "Well, I'd like a new computer, a choo-choo train, a fire truck, some pizza, some ice cream..... and a duck."

me: "Is that all?"

Chloe: "I guess I'll use the change and get me and Emma a popsicle."

The CHANGE!!!

Well, because she added Emma to her last item and was ok with sharing, I didn't have the heart to tell her that the $1 she had wouldn't even put a third of a gallon of gas in one of her parents gas guzzling SUV's. That's probably info I'll wait to tell her once we've completely ruined the environment for her generation.
But, I have decided that since she is so optimistic with her spending and has great ideas on how to spend it (there wasn't a thing on her list that I wouldn't want myself!), that I'm going to start letting her pick my stock trades and update my portfolio for me. I figure I'll give her the paper with NASDAQ listings and a marker and which ever one she colors the prettiest--that's where the money goes. I'm pretty sure this is the same system our current broker uses, so I've decided to keep it in-house from now on. Who knows, if she does well, I just might give Emma a marker and let her give it a try. Although, she'd have to hold it with her toes. Her toes are without a doubt the one feature she inherited from me--they're ginormously long! She can reach across the room and tickle your ear and completely fool you into thinking there's no way a baby can move that fast. But all she has to do is point that toe that went to the market, and she never had to leave her swing! In a few years I'll show her how to pick socks up off the floor without having to use her hands or bend over-- it truly is a good skill to have when you're rushing to straighten up for unexpected visitors!
So, wish us luck on our new stock endeavors, and if you know of someone looking to sell a duck, firetruck, or choo-choo train real cheap give them our number!

No comments: