Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Blue Hair Convention

I made reference in my Thanksgiving post to having attended a "Blue Hair Convention." I've been asked a lot of questions about that and have finally found the time to answer them. In the "sbsturkie dictionary" a blue hair convention is defined as: any gathering of 100 or more persons wherein there are only 4 individuals, including your 3 yr old daughter, that are under the age of 65 and that have never tried to dye their hair silver--and thus end up with a nice blue shine to it--giving them blue hair. At this particular convention, the 4 individuals under the required age were myself, Chloe, my mom, and Aunt Marsha. We attended the "Christmas Show" at the Alabama Theatre in Myrtle Beach, SC.



Background: we drove to Myrtle Beach after picking Chloe up from school, spent the night, and the next day went to find a new beach house to rent. Apparently the two men who own the beach house we've stayed at for years have decided to retire to the beach--therefore, we needed a new house for our annual trip. Anyways, mom had given me fair warning that we may try to go to the show so I wasn't completely shocked when we pulled in to buy our tickets before checking in to our hotel. However, I was surprised to find the show packed later that evening. You see, there were only 10 other cars in the parking lot when we arrived 20 minutes before showtime. What I had failed to realize was that all of the tour buses that transport the "blue hairs" parked behind the theatre. So, the only cars in the parking lot with ours were those of the employees.
I don't want to sound like I'm a blue hair basher. On the contrary, some of the people I admire most fall in to this category: Sir Sean Connery, Micky's Nana, Jimmy Carter, and of course, Bea Arthur. I think I could live quite well with these people! I enjoy a good seafood buffet, love to take naps, and I thoroughly enjoyed this show. The singing and dancing were amazing, and I found myself completely lost in the show. So lost, that after about 20 minutes the glare bouncing off all of the blue/silver hair didn't bother me anymore. It's amazing what you can get used to when someones singing a mind-blowing version of "Mary Did You Know".













This was Chloe's first "big show" and she loved it--what she saw of it! Another thing that shocked me was that this show lasted from 7:30-10:15. By 9, Chloe had climbed on my mom's lap and drifted to sleep. I had no idea the blue hairs could party so late. Guess that explains all the napping!!

No comments: