Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Turkey, Al Roker, and some Dap!

Sorry it's been a while since I posted on here (Wendy!:-)), but after Thanksgiving we were a bit busy with Carolina losing, a birthday party, and the "Blue Hair Convention" I attended Monday night in Myrtle Beach--I'll be sure to write a post about that soon! Any old way~~ Thanksgiving was, to quote Chloe, "FANTASTIC". If you ever get the chance to host Thanksgiving while your 8 months pregnant I highly recommend it! Other than the cleaning up before everyone got here (which Micky helped me with), I pretty much didn't have to lift a finger! We had my family and Micky's for dinner--everyone brought a dish, Micky fried the turkey, and between my mom, Micky's mom, and my Aunt Marsha I didn't have to clean a thing. Mind you, I'm still perfectly capable of cleaning--but who am I to deprive those women of the joy of cleaning up after 25 people! I almost felt bad about it, but then realized that in 2 years-when it's my turn to host again--they'll all be busy playing with the kids and I'll be the one cleaning up!! Seriously, it was very nice of them and I greatly appreciated it!

Giving Thanks. I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, but sometimes I will go days without telling God thank you for all the blessings he's given me. I'm working on fixing that! As for telling you all the things I'm thankful for this year--that would be impossible! So, here are a few funny things from Thanksgiving Day that I'm thankful for:

1. My gangsta' daughter-- Chloe slept late Thanksgiving morning and when she finally woke up she called her dad in to "snuggle" with her. After a minute I hear Micky laughing pretty hard so I had to go see what was so funny. Apparently, she told him a story (he couldn't quite understand all of it but thinks it was about a dream she had), and at the end of the story she held her fist up to him and said, "Give me some Dap!" (for those of you who don't know, this is what my brother, Scott, says when he wants her to do a fist bump with him). She proceeded to ask for some "dap!" all day long! Imagine her dressed in a pretty skirt with cute pink tights (thanks Leah!) and completely ruining the dainty princess image with the "give me some dap!" request! Needless to say, her great-grandparents were a little confused!

2. My husbands humor-- After we had given Chloe her morning "dap!" we all snuggled together for a while watching the Thanksgiving parade on NBC. We realized we are definitely getting old when we were actually enjoying the corny singing and dancing numbers. Well, Al Roker came on to introduce the next act and when he got done Micky said (with all seriousness), "You know, no matter how we dress Mr. Potato Head, he always ends up looking like Al Roker." I almost choked on my chocolate milk! And yes, we know we talk about Mr. Potato Head too much, but we spend a lot of time putting outfits on that guy!

3. My dad's narcolepsy-- Most of you know that my dad can fall asleep anytime, anywhere: standing up, sitting at a loud football game, sitting on a bar stool playing Trivial Pursuit (he actually did that at the beach one year and fell to the floor from the stool--it was hilarious!--and he wasn't hurt!). Here's a picture of him at about 3:30, two hours before he even had any turkey!










4. Cousin Eddie-- If you've never seen Christmas Vacation, you are missing out! I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't love it--and I think that's partly because everyone can relate to it--we all have at least one "Cousin Eddie" in our family. (We have 2!) We're planning on having a Christmas Vacation themed Christmas party next year, and I'll bet that over half the guys show up with white shiny shoes and a white sweater with a black Dickie showing through underneath it! It's been tradition in our family for years (ever since mom laughed so hard she could've used Depends in the theater!) to watch Christmas Vacation on Thanksgiving night. It kicks the season off for us! And we all have our favorite lines. One of my personal favs comes from the snooty neighbors, "I don't know Margo!"


Thanksgiving was a hit and I'm doing my best to remember and thank God for everything that I have and all that I am. Thank you!

No comments: