Friday, November 26, 2010

Thankful

Yesterday was Thanksgiving, Day 1,- today we will celebrate Thanksgiving, Day 2, (as Chloe likes to call it) with my family at my mom & dad's house for lunch. This is the first year that we didn't have 2 Thanksgiving meals in the same day. I think this could work well for us! Now I can fill up to the point of sickness (and then get to feel guilty for my gluttonous behavior) two days in a row! I will try to control myself. But really, if you've ever had my moms coconut cake, you know it's not my fault. That stuff is serious! So, I guess that coconut cake makes it on the list of things I'm thankful for :)
I'm thankful that Micky and I have families that we truly enjoy spending time with. I'm thankful for a husband who loves me (and makes sure I know it) and that he is such an amazing father to our girls. I'm thankful that Chloe and Emma are healthy and brilliant and have the kindest hearts I've ever witnessed. I love how they comfort each other when one is sad, or if one has gotten in trouble they will come to each others defense. -- Just last week, Chloe had gotten sent to her room (I can't really recall why, I'm sure it had something to do with typical 6 year-old sass!) and we caught Emma sneaking upstairs to go check on her. Now, mind you, Emma sneaking is quite like a bull trying to sneak through a china cabinet. She lacks a bit of subtlety. But nonetheless, it was really cute and we let her do it. She just went in and patted Chloe's shoulder and stood beside her as she "thought about what she had done." I hope they love each other like this forever.
I'm thankful for friends who truly get me-- and still love me anyway! I'm thankful that God has given us everything we need. And that he has given us seasons-- so that even our youngest can see how he makes our world beautiful. Driving down the road- or just looking out our window- we get to see God's beautiful canvas and how he has chosen to paint it for Fall. It is breathtaking, and I try to remind myself to just STOP and appreciate it.
I'm thankful for sounds-- like the sound of my girls giggling with each other, the way Emma still says "I wuv you too!" -(I'm gonna hate when she figures that "l" sound out!). I'm thankful for the sound of little feet running across the hardwood floor to wake me & Micky up on the weekend- even when I wish they'd sleep a little bit longer- I still love it! I'm thankful for the laughter I hear at bath time when their dad is bathing them and telling a silly story! And even though Micky is trying to give me a few minutes break- I can't help but go back in there to be a part of the fun! I love that sound! As silly as this may sound, I think one of my favorite sounds of all is when I hear the garage door open. It means Micky is home! There's always a feeling of peace with that sound. I'm thankful he's home safe and that even as crazy as things can get around here -he still comes home :) And at the end of the day, we're here together. And that peace and security is probably what I'm most thankful for!
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: